Friday, October 11, 2013

Back in black, button back blouse

It's not really a blouse, but it sounded better than top. 


I've had this pattern for quite a while but had procrastinated about making it because it was a couple of inches too big for me. I don't mind grading patterns up, but grading them down is always painful.  In the end I cheated and didn't really use the pattern. I wanted to make the button back top on the right at the back. Rather than bothering to grade the pattern, I just redrafted one that already fitted me. I added the square neckline by laying the pattern pieces from this pattern over my other pattern and redrawing it. This is definitely not the mathematically correct way of doing things, but whatever, I'm lazy. Adding the button closure at the back was simple. I just added a few of inches to the pattern pieces for the placket and a self-facing.   


I'm not a massive fan of the heart print, but it was the only black 100% cotton broderie anglaise I could find. Weirdly, cut on the straight grain the hearts are sideways which is better for me I guess because they look less heart-like. 


 I used some vintage buttons I bought from a market for the back. They are really pretty and faceted, but it was hard to get a good picture. I got them on the original piece of card. Half the fun of buying old notions is the funny packaging.  Apparently, the buttons were plant-tested and approved by the Research Institute of Launderers, Dry Cleaners and Dyers of NZ. I wonder how they tested them. Put them through the wash loads of times, maybe? Hopefully this means they will withstand the spin cycle.  


I could probably do with making a couple more of these tops in different colours. I'm a bit lacking in plain(ish) tops to go with my patterned skirts. 


Yeah, the colours are weird in this one. I tried to edit it but probably just made it worse.


Skirt: Op shopped
Belt: Op shopped
Scarf: Op shopped by my mum
Top: Simplicity 3937
Shoes: The Warehouse
Sunglasses: The Yellow Brick Road

13 comments:

  1. I can't believe you don't like the hearts! I LOVE the hearts! The top (blouse) is excellent and the buttons are pretty great too. I am really looking forward to going to Yellow Brick Road when I'm in Auckland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really a heart sort of person probably because I'm completely unromantic.

      Delete
  2. Super cute top! You did a great job and it fits you so well. I love hearts. Have since I was kid and would draw them along the binding of my journals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect in that Broderie Anglaise! I love it. I can see you making loads of them. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most wonderful skirt everrrrrrrrrrr, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
    I want it all.
    Happy weekend, magic friend
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous top, I do so love the skirt too...beautiful!! Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, definitely make more, it's a lovely top (I'm calling it a top, I like that word). The skirt is a joy too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the word top, I just used blouse because I liked the alliteration.

      Delete
  7. It's a darling little top. One needs a great many of such things for wearing with patterned skirts!
    Lazy is perfect! I am THE laziest sewer ever, and the method you described is rather familiar to me!
    O, I love the broderie anglaise fabric,it is bloody hard to find in black! I didn;t notice the hearts until you pointed them out.
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very impressive. Looks so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make so much I'm dying to see what your closet looks like!

    ReplyDelete