Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Butterick 9305

I started this dress months ago when it was still wintery but then I got bogged down with essays and assignments. I've finally finished it but it's decidedly springy now and I probably won't get to wear it much until autumn.   


The pattern was from Two Squirrels Vintage.  It's Butterick 9305 which, according to the Vintage Patterns Wiki, is from 1960. Interestingly, the image they have has different colours than my pattern envelope does. I've found that with quite a few of my vintage patterns. Maybe they printed them in different colours for New Zealand?



The fabric is a really fine wool that I got from Trademe. I underlined it with some black cotton because it was too thin. Seriously, though, I hate having to cut out all the pieces twice, and then having to baste them together. It takes so long.     


Ugh, my fringe is all funny because it was so windy yesterday

I made view A. I changed all the pleats in the bodice and skirt to darts because it was way too gape-y. I also put buttons all down the front because I couldn't see the point in sewing the bottom of the skirt shut and only having four buttons. I had to cut about 20cm off the hem because this pattern was obviously made for tall(er) people.


Yeah, I'm wearing the hat backwards because I like it better that way

I was a bit worried that the massive collar would be overwhelming but I love it, especially from the back.



Dress: I made it
Hat: Op shopped
Belt: Op shopped
Bakelite Bangles: Etsy
Pear Brooch: Trademe


20 comments:

  1. It's fabulous! You look so smart and contemporary and the fabric you chose is wonderful.
    I hate cutting the pieces up twice, it's so time consuming, but your frock is well worth the effort!
    The backwards hat is wonderful! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, that's why I hardly ever line things because I can't be bothered cutting out everything twice but this time I couldn't avoid it.

      Delete
  2. This is so elegant! Ahhh I need to sewwwww.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing - it looks great, I'm trying to get brave enough to try more complicated patterns like this. I really love the fabric and also I love your hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It actually looks a lot more complicated than it is.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous!!! I just bought a similar pattern to recreate a vintage dress I saw on etsy that wasn't my size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Awesome. I do that all the time if I find something I love that doesn't fit me.

      Delete
  5. Wow, very impressed. The dress has turned out beautifully and I love the way you've styled it. Those red t bars are fabulous xx

    ReplyDelete


  6. Great post!

    3 words LOVE YOUR STYLE :)

    I'm an instant follower of you now :)

    Please feel free to check out my blog if you have the time

    Love,

    Janice
    the-fashion-milkshake.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks wonderful! I really like the oversized collar, it almost looks like a capelet, it's beautiful. Gorgeous fabric too, and with the hat and splashes of red - perfect! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfection, my friend, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    I am drooling!!!
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. That fabric is amazing, as is the finished dress, it just looks so crisp and wintery and warm x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this dress and the red belt and shoes! The fabric is gorgeous too. Well, now you have a head start on next winter. It will be winter again for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're so good at dressmaking, this dress is great, the complicated double lining bit was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This dress is awesome! I love the print and it's super flattering :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally worth it for the outcome, looks fab. Plus with this weird cold spell we're having right now great to have something warm to wear still.

    ReplyDelete
  14. awesome. you found the perfect printed fabric for this pattern.

    http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the perfect mix of vintage pattern and contemporary print!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous frock....I'm sorry for my lack of comments. For some weird reason I seem to be missing your posts on my reader. Grrr. At least I've caught up now. I was thinking you'd been extra quiet! Xx

    ReplyDelete