Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Little Bo Peep

McCalls 5458


My nephew: "That's a nice...what is that? A skirt? Dress?"
Me: "Shorts. They're shorts."

It's probably unsurprising that my seven year old nephew couldn't quite figure out what I was sewing given that I haven't worn a pair of shorts for a few years. Shorts aren't really my thing. Until a couple of weeks ago I didn't even own a pair, unless you count my PE shorts from when I was 13. I decided that I needed a pair for my trip to Wellington because it's a notoriously windy city and I didn't want to spend the whole time holding down my skirts.


Top and shorts


This is my wearable muslin pair, made from some vintage cotton that my Mum gave me. She op shopped the fabric years ago. It has a girl playing with a sheep or goat or some other animal on it. My nephew reckons it's a dog but I'm pretty sure you're not meant to feed dogs grass.

Close up of shorts


I used McCall's 5458 from July 1960. I left off the bows and used buttons up the side instead of a zip. There was only a metre of fabric so I had to do some creative piecing together to fit it all in.



Since I didn't have a top that matched the shorts (oh, the horror), I had to make one. I used the Port Elizabeth pattern, which is free on burdastyle and which I have made about six times now. The fabric is some apple green broderie anglaise with flowers printed on it.

I've also made my final pair but haven't got a photo of them, yet. They are bright yellow with lemons on them. I mean, you didn't expect me to make sensible shorts did you?

30 comments:

  1. These are AMAZING. You're so talented!!! I completely inlove with those shorts. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the green! I must say I never wear shorts anymore either, but yours are super cute...Love the buttons & the print. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I haven't worn them for a few years but they're really comfy.

      Delete
  3. Oh man, they are so adorable! I love the outfit you put together with them so much, and it's so cute what your nephew said. I can't wait to see the final product. I'm sick of walking around Wellington holding my dress down, I think I'm going to make a few pair of bloomers in cute prints so I can stop worrying about everyone seeing my knickers. Did you find anything good for yourself when you were here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I actually like these ones better than my final ones. That's why I didn't take any of my full skirts up there. That's a good idea. Or you could just make sure you're always wearing cute knickers. I got a few good things; some fabric, a pair of saddle shoes, a sailor top and a bakelite radio. The op shopping wasn't that great though.

      Delete
  4. Super super cute!!!
    You are a clever lady.
    Love the fabric with the little baa baa's on it.
    Love v

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The fabric is fab. Mum had it in her stash for years.

      Delete
  5. Omg these are so cute! I love the print. It looks like a lamb. Maybe it's mary and her little lamb. Can't wait to see your other pair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That's a thought, maybe it is Mary and her little lamb. It looks like it has wee horns in one of the scenes so I wasn't sure if it was a sheep or a goat or some hybrid.

      Delete
  6. GREAT conversation with your nephew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a great conversationalist. He never stops talking.

      Delete
  7. how awesome. That pattern is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty and fun ensemble, I'm ENVIOUS of your endless excellent fabric stash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. My endless stash is mostly a result of my helpless addiction to fabric. It's a problem.

      Delete
  9. These shorts are so pretty! I am endlessly jealous of your sewing abilities! And the nonchalance in the way you said you had to make a matching top! If only I could do such things with such ease! You're a very clever lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You're so sweet. My sewing abilities are mostly the result of trial and error and making some truly terrible clothes.

      Delete
  10. I absolutely love them, I'd buy those if I saw them in a shop without a shadow of a doubt. You look amazing in them. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic shorts. They are certainly a most wearable muslin.

    Maybe it's a baby donkey? Mostly looks like it in the picture where it's on a lead. Very odd/wonderful fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. A wearable one is my favourite kind of muslin.
      Maybe, the ears do look quite donkey-like.

      Delete
  12. Cute fabric, I think those animals are little lambs :D Wearable muslins are the best ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I thought they were lambs originally but a couple of them have horns, so I thought maybe they were goats. They are indeed.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, now I see the little horns. True, they might be goats aswell.

      Delete
  13. These banish the idea of Canterbury shorts from my mind. You classy thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I forgot about the existence of Canterbury shorts. How I was desperate for a pair when I was 13.

      Delete
  14. holy moly, thats amazing fabric. I'm well impressed with your blog and will be scanning all faces I see around wellington now! Your sewing is awesome. I made some shorts last year, which I had to alter a lot. And having taught myself to sew I was rather confused. But I got them in the end!? Do you study at Massey or Vic? (did I read you study?) And where did you learn to sew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Shorts can be hard because getting the fit right is a pain. I'm actually in Chch studying at Canterbury uni. I went up to Wellington for a holiday. I did a little bit of sewing at high school during home economics and my Mum sews a lot so she taught me some and looking things up on the internet taught me lots too. It's kind of hard to remember how I learnt to sew since I didn't really take classes or anything.

      Delete
  15. So pretty! I love your shorts. The fabric is adorable.

    ReplyDelete