Monday, October 10, 2011

Sort of Spring

Sorry about my lack of posting. Uni is kicking my butt at the moment. I have two tests and an essay due this week. Anyway, it's sort of Spring here now. By 'sort of' I mean we get a couple of sunny days and then back to gloom again. This is typical of Christchurch. I'm not complaining mind you, I like gloomy weather. I quite like Spring too but I don't like what comes after. Summer means hayfever and constant sunscreen application for me.
In honour of the start of Spring I thought I would make a weather appropriate skirt. I actually finished this a couple of weeks ago but was too lazy busy to take pictures of it.


Spring Circle Skirt


It's the same self-drafted circle skirt pattern I've sewn a million times, because you can never have too many circle skirts. The fabric is from my stash. I bought 4 metres of it at Spotlight a few years ago. I was going to make a full skirted 50s dress but then I thought the combination of full skirt, pink, roses and spots (there are little cream spots on the fabric) would be too girly even for me. I am not much of a fan of pink in general so it must have been a moment of temporary insanity when I bought 4 metres. I do like it as a skirt though. With a skirt I can tone down the pink with a black top and docs.



I lined it with some white cotton because it makes the colours stand out a bit more. I also added some petersham ribbon to the waistband because it looks pretty and it probably strengthens it or something. All the seams are french seams. Even though you can't see them because it's lined, I don't care. I just love how neat they look.



If you squint you may be able to make out the spots on the fabric. The camera washes out the colours a bit. They are brighter in person.

I have a ton of Spring sewing projects in my mind and hopefully after this week I'll be able to start working on them.

8 comments:

  1. I really like this skirt. Good to see a simple, nice skirt instead of a bodycon fad one. Wicked Docs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty skirt. I'm not a fan of pink either, but this is very pretty. What is it about spring that just makes you want to sew? X

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great in pink, the Docs and the black top give your fantastic creation style and sass. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a dress out of this same material for my 20th birthday. I don't wear it anymore cause it is a bit too much for me. I made a strapless full skirted dress with pink waist ties. I might have to remove the bodice and make it into a skirt. It might get more wear that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. owlinalarkworld- Thanks. Bodycon skirts are still a thing? I'm very out of the loop in regards to fads. Thanks, they were given to me by my nephew's mum.

    Louise- Thanks. Maybe it's because Spring clothing is fun to sew.

    Vix- Thanks, you're so sweet.

    Kat- Funny that we bought the same material. That's a good idea. I think it's more wearable as a skirt. I was going to make a full skirted dress too but then it would sort of feel like a special occasion dress. A skirt is a little bit more casual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed your creations, love your skirt and the way you accessorized it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cute outfit AND GORGEOUS SKIRT.

    http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete