Saturday, March 6, 2010

Polka dots and a Confession

Butterick 9826 version 2


I liked how easy Butterick 9826 was to put together so I made another version using some vintage fabric I had in my stash. I left out the sash again because it uses up a ridiculous amount of fabric. I'm not entirely conviced I like the sleeves in this pattern. They are cut as one with the bodice piece (I'm not sure what this type of sleeve is called). They are alright but I think I prefer the look of set-in sleeves.

Confession: Yesterday I bought some fabric even though I'm meant to be Stash Bustin'. I went to the fabric shop to get a covered button kit and came out with three metres of purple and white striped poplin. It was on sale and my self-control is limited when it comes to getting things cheaply. I don't feel too guilty about it though because the last four dresses I've sewn have been using stash fabric.

16 comments:

  1. I actually have a serious weakness for sleeves cut in one with the bodice, so I love this dress! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dress turned out beautiful!! I love the fabric and it fits you wonderful!

    www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I really like the shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think those sleeves are called "saddle sleeves"..but im not completely sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys.

    And thank you Marina-I never know the correct sewing terms for things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kimono sleeves! You have to really reinforce the armpit seams because they will tear there first. The dress is cute, although I love anything with polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for your comment, there will be more hats soon I am working on two at this point. :) I love your blog so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Molly-Thanks, I've heard of kimono sleeves before but weren't sure what they were, mystery solved. I put bias binding on the armpit seams so hopefully that will be enough to stop them tearing.

    Lady A- Thanks. I look forward to seeing the hats when you've finished them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have a weakness for pretty fabric, too, especially when it's on sale -- and i don't even sew! i'm a pattern hound, so what can i say? in any case, i can't wait to see what you create from it. :)

    your dress is so pretty. how long does it take to make a dress like this? it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad I'm not the only one who buys unnecessary fabric.I have a weakness for any kind of pattern too.

    Thanks! The pattern I used for this dress was really simple and I've made it before so it probably only took me 3 hours total. I usually do little bits here and there though so the time is spread over a few days or a week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this dress! The color is really nice and a little different...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous gorgeous!
    No idea what the sleeves are called, but I often find they look really cute rolled up. Have you tried that?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks. No, I haven't, that's a good idea. I'll try it out next time I wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute dress! Wish I had half the talent you have..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Again very nice dress. I love green so much, and what can be better then green dotted fabric? =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely dress, as usual with you! I really like your style :)

    ReplyDelete